Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Inspiration...

Kiersten White recently posted about what inspires her http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com/2011/05/oooh-you-make-me-wanna.html, and it got me to thinking about what inspires me.

One of my best thinking times is when I'm alone in my car, blasting my favorite tunes.  It can happen on a familiar stretch of road, performing a mundane task like going to the grocery store, and  I'll look around and see something new.  It can be a cloud in the sky, the curve of the road, the color of the trees, etc and suddenly a scene will pop into my head.  Don't worry though, I'm a good multi-tasker.  Both hands are always securely on the wheel and my eyes on the road.

I've also found that bedtime is fertile ground for some of my best ideas.  I usually find myself running through my WIP as I try to fall asleep.  There have been multiple times, while performing this ritual that a story plot that I've been struggling with will suddenly unravel, leaving clarity in its wake.  Since I'm usually too lazy to crawl out of bed, I've learned to keep a notepad on my nightstand.  And have even on some occasions had to text these revelations to myself.   If I didn't do this, the next morning I'd find myself struggling to remember the great ideas I've had the night before.

Music is also a great inspirer.  There are many artists that contribute to my current WIP, but I thought I'd list a few of my favorites from my playlist.

Adele - Rolling in the Deep, Set Fire to the Rain
Arcade Fire- Wake Up
AWOLNATION- Sail
Band of Horses- The Funeral
Beck- Lost Cause
Brandi Carlise- The Story
Cat Power- The Greatest
Christina Perri- Jar of Hearts, Arms, Tragedy
The Civil Wars- Barton Hollow, Poison & Wine, Falling, Dance Me to the End of Love, Tip of My Tongue
Death Cab for Cutie- Transatlanticism
DeVotchka- How it Ends
Florence + Machine- Heavy in Your Arms, Binding
Gary Jules- Mad World
Grizzly Bear- Slow Life
Hana Pestle- Need
Iron & Wine- Flightless Bird
Johnny Cash- Hurt
Landon Pigg- Coffee Shop
Lykee Li- Possibility, Tonight
Radiohead- Creep
REM- Everybody Hurts
Rolling Stones- Wild Horses
Scarlett Johansson- Falling Down
Sia- Breathe Me, Lullaby, My Love, I Go to Sleep
The Swell Season-  Falling Slowly

Again, these are just a few of my go to songs.  Some of you might find my selection a bit melancholy, but those aching, angsty songs are my bread and butter.  Those raw emotions bring forth such passion, which in turn translates directly into my writing.   Now I'm not saying that my list is a guideline for all writers, but it works for me. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is find what inspires you, and use it!  Your writing will only benefit.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment