Thursday, September 22, 2011

Writers Block, Awards, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, What I've Been Doing Instead of Writing, and the Highlight of My Week...

These past two weeks have been a series of ups and downs, with the downs heavily outweighing the ups.  All that I seem to be able to do lately is stare at the same freaking paragraph.  I  read it again and again and again, until the words go blurry and I either slam my computer shut, disappear into FB games, or fall asleep.  Yeah that's right, I fall asleep at the computer.  (lame)

It's as if my brain is revolting.  It seems as if my writing has become uninspired (see dictionary entry for writer), and my imagination has decided to take an extended vacation (hopefully to Barbados, because that is where my body wants to be).

The completely normal and rational extension of my brain reasons that this has to do with one or two things.  Or maybe a combination of both.  1. My newly altered sleep schedule, due to school schedule or  2. The three (count them three) sick individuals currently residing in my abode, who have become completely dependent on yours truly.  The crazy erratic part of my brain has commenced to screaming that I've lost my touch and that I will never EVER finish The Beast. (As I have resulted to calling it in an affectionate/scathing way.)

So I'm here to beg, PLEASE INSPIRATION...COME BACK!!!

However, there is a shining ray of light in the form of my new acquired Critique Partner, Carrie Bastyr.  If you aren't following her blog Where I Get Wordy, you should be.  She is completely awesome and amazing, and has a intuitive knack for unearthing the hidden problems of my WIP that have been needling me unrelentingly in the back of my mind.
She also recently awarded me this wonderful and flattering blogger award, that of course in my current state of mind I absolutely felt I didn't deserve.  But that is just her!  So thank you Carrie, for attempting to keep me a little bit sane!

Now away from the depressing and onto the AMAZING! Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor,  which I happened to be able to purchase early through Amazon by using the gift certificate I won through My Next Life.

Um, words cannot even begin to describe the sheer AWESOMENESS of this book.  It is magical and touching, whimsical and haunting.  The language flows in smooth languid prose, and it never releases you from its beautiful grip. I literally devoured this book, and I now fully understand Kiersten White's caution about reading this while attempting to write.  You will feel like a hack, but you just won't care.  I'm still disturbed by the one bad review she received, which was in fact more a personal attack than a constructive review.  Down with haters!




So the thing I procrastinated on instead of writing...

I was looking for a bit of inspiration, so I decided to alter a picture of my sister to imitate my protagonist, Fiona Banks.  For those of you who don't know, Manda is my muse and I have totally ripped off her likeness (with her permission).

My best friend upon reading my WIP, "Um, you do realize that Fiona is Manda to a tee right?"

Hangs head in shame, "Yes."

"Ok, just checking."

Thank God that Manda is such a good sport, because I have totally blurred the line between the two.  She assures me that she actually enjoys it, because she is effectively able to imagine herself in Fiona's shoes.  She really is the coolest of the cool with the greatest sense of humor, and there wouldn't be a Fiona without her.



The Highlight of My Week...


My baby boy promoting Library Card Month at the Manheim Community Library.  The promotion is part of Mission G.O., which encourages first-graders to obtain library cards.

How this happened...baby boy was extremely sad to see big brother off to school, so Grandma and Momma took him to the library to cheer him up.  (He loves the library almost as much a Momma.  I am so proud!)  Just as we were gearing up to leave, the head librarian asked if I was willing to let him take pictures for the promotion. (uh, no brainer)

He was super excited to hold the giant library card, hence the ginormous cheesy grin!

Big Brother seeing the picture today in the paper not too happy (was mad that school kept him from being in the paper), while baby boy can't stop looking at himself and saying "That's me!"



At this point in time, I would like to apologize for whining like a baby and for the overuse of parenthesize.  Oh and for the super long, super annoying title.  But it's been a while, and I had a lot to say.  

I promise to have myself back in control the next time I write.  

*crosses fingers* *crosses toes* *ok crosses everything*


4 comments:

  1. Oh crappers...I was going to send you a Versitle Blogger Award this week as well! I just hadn't gotten around to it!

    And don't worry about being uninspired. My trick is to spend that time reading instead of staring at my blank page and it usually motivates me to start writing again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun for your son! And that is sooo awesome that he loves the library!

    When I'm having trouble writing I go shopping for new music...sometimes that helps. If not, I just go shopping. And when I'm broke (which is most of the time), I'll try coloring, browsing for inspiring pictures, or a warm shower/bath (something about hot water..). When all else fails I walk away and clean. I've had some of my best ideas while washing dishes.

    I really can't wait to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone when it comes next week but I'm scared at what it will do to my writing too...maybe it will be my reward for finishing my first draft, but that would mean writing about 50000 words in 6 days. Ha ha, yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how those days go. I hope tomorrow brings lots of new ideas and new words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah... I've been there. I hit those days where I think, "Yep, here I go... going to write!" And then I get sucked into doing something fatally stupid on FB (games, yeah, guilty), blog hopping, or just plain surfing and procrastinating.

    It's the worst. I don't even call it block, I just call it... blah.

    ReplyDelete